Thursday, August 7, 2008

How to deal with inLaws

Today I am going to vent.
My sister in law has been in my house for the past 3 months. She is coming from the UAE with 3 of her kids to spend summer vacation. Nothing wrong with that. M'rahba like we say back home however, here is the complication.
List again :)
  1. Her kids are not behaved. You will tell me they are kids. Well when you have her daughter calling me "mara" (woman) when she addresses me, I guess this is bad in any language.
  2. Thet have a bad influence on my son. He is 2 and he picks up any word they say. you can imagine how mad I am
  3. Her mother is a permanent resident of my house. I didn't say that. his mother lives with me. So the sis doesn't address me when she wants something, she goes to her mama. Imagine, all of a sudden I am invisible.

I am just tired tired and tired.

I need an advise. Should I talk to her or what should I do.

1 comment:

insomniac said...

this could be an unhealthy advice, but considering all consequences of a healthy one, and considering that i have no clue what your relationship with your husband and his in-laws is like, here it goes...

IGNORE...

don't talk to her, because God only knows how your words could be misunderstood or even worse, taken out of context to make you look like the worst wife in the world!!

do not tell your husband about how uncomfortable it is for you, just subtly hint to him about how you baby is behaving in a "strange" way lately and wonder out loud in front of him "what could have possibly gotten to him!!!"... but do not push, oriental men do not appreciate criticism when it comes to in-laws even more than the average human beings!

i so know how hard it must be for you... "marra" is such an offensive word in my culture, i'd probably bite off the neck of whoever calls me that! and you should see how protective i get of my kids around other kids, but in the bigger scheme of things, your son will one day go to school and have to deal with other kids and how differently they might behave in contrast with his up-bringing and the safest thing to do, is to work twice as hard enforcing your rules in a loving way and hope for the best....

sorry for the long advice, i know it's rather late and your sister in law most probably left, but i couldn't help but get it out of my system :) *smiling shyly*